How to Recondition a Laptop Battery
An easy, step-by-step guide to recondition dead laptop batteries at home.
Are you having some problems with your laptop battery? Is it still in working condition but the battery life seems to be diminishing? It is quite costly to buy a new laptop power pack which costs around $100 to $150. Hence, I recommend you to recondition your laptop battery. You can save approximately 25 to 50 percent of the retail cost.
There are different methods you can try, and it does not require any technical skills. I also experienced the same problem before, and I do not want to spend that much on a new power pack.
There are some methods for reconditioning your laptop battery that I want to share with you today. The steps are relatively simple and straightforward to follow. Just read through and see which one suits your requirements.
Types of Laptop Batteries
If you would see, there are various kinds of laptop batteries available, and a few of them are already attached to the laptop’s construction. Before, the older versions of laptop power packs can be detached from the unit, and you can plug your device into the wall.
Before going to the reconditioning process, I am going to share a few ideas about the three main types of laptop batteries: NiCad, NiMH, and Lithium-ion batteries.
NiCad (Nickel Cadmium)
- These batteries have an average life cycle of 1,500 before dying out.
- This type has the “memory effect” where the battery can recall the charge capacity level when they are frequently recharged, and plugged off even without reaching 100 percent full capacity.
- They require a periodic full discharge and charge maintenance cycle. If not properly maintained, the battery’s useful life will decrease three times.
- This battery type loses 20 percent of their capacity every month when kept in room temperature.
- Each time you plug off its charger, it loses 10 percent of its capacity within 24 hours.
- In comparison with the other two batteries, this one has a mid-range useful life. However, with proper maintenance, it can last longer than the two different battery types.
NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride)
- On average, it loses 30 percent of its capacity every month. Perhaps, this battery has the shortest useful life compared to other types.
- It can only last for around 500 cycles of charge and discharge.
- Similar to NiCad, this battery type needs to have a maintenance cycle of full discharge and charge. If not properly maintained, you can have 175 cycles instead of 500.
- Unlike NiCad, this type does need to be fully drained off with charge. Unplugging it for a while can reasonably increase the life cycle of the battery.
- In contrast with the two batteries mentioned, this one does not have any “memory effect.”
- For every kilogram of this battery, it contains 150 watt-hours of energy density. Best power density compared to the two batteries mentioned earlier.
- This battery has the least discharge rate (10 percent) per month.
- It is sensitive to overcharging and super high current inflow.
Precautions on how to recondition a laptop battery
When doing any battery reconditioning process, it is best to secure one’s safety. Consequently, I have a few tips and warnings about the recondition a laptop battery.
- For NiCad and NiMH laptop batteries, it is advisable to conduct a once a month calibration. It is to prevent any permanent damage to the circuit connections in your unit and battery.
- For Lithium-ion laptop batteries, I would discourage calibrating it to avoid any damage in its circuitry.
- To enhance power inflow, you can wipe the metal portion of the charger with a clean non-abrasive cloth.
- To improve the life cycle of your laptop battery, you can buy a laptop cooler which costs less compared to a new power pack.
- Discharge NiCad and NiMH at the recommended battery level to avoid “memory effect.”
Benefits: How to Recondition a Dead Laptop Battery
The main benefit of knowing how to recondition a laptop battery is to save huge costs from buying a new power pack set. A brand new laptop battery can cost between $100 to $150. Reconditioning your low-performing power pack can let you save around 25 to 50 percent of the retail cost for the new battery.
If you have some entrepreneurial skills, the second benefit you get from this idea is selling your service of reconditioning laptop batteries for a competitive price. It seems to be a decent and profitable business if done correctly.
The third benefit is helping our environment by reducing battery waste production. Why throw it when you can still use it for a couple of months or a year. It is a decent way of helping mother nature.
Battery Restoration Trick
Little Known Way To Bring Nearly ANY Dead Battery Back To Life again..
Step-by-Step Guide: Recondition a Laptop Battery
I have mentioned a few methods you can try on how to recondition a laptop battery in this article. Just read through the whole thing. It is straightforward, and you will get the concept in no time.
Method 1 Discharge and Recharge
- Change Laptop Power Options
To fully discharge your laptop, you need to disable all the features of power saving mode. In your laptop, go to Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options > Create Power Plan > choose the “High Performance” setting.You can also go to “Change Plan Settings” > “Changed Advanced Power Settings.” Then change the critical battery level to 1 to 3 percent and temporarily disable the hibernate action.
- Charge Laptop Battery to Full Capacity
After configuring the power option of your laptop, the next step is to charge your battery to 100 percent full. To have a quicker charging rate, do this while your computer is turned off.After charging for the required hours, turn your laptop on while still plugging into your wall. Check if the battery level has fully reached 100 percent capacity.
- Fully Discharge your Laptop Battery
After reaching 100 percent capacity, unplug the charger from the wall and the laptop. Then let your laptop drain its battery until all charges are used up and it dies out. The next thing to do is to recharge your laptop again to a full 100 percent capacity.When your laptop reaches full 100 percent capacity again, change all power options back to its original settings. This is the last step for method1.
Method 2Freeze it up.
- If your laptop battery can be detached from the unit, then take it out and place it inside a Ziploc or any plastic container.
- After securing that no water can seep through inside the sealed battery, place it inside your fridge for around 12 to 24 hours. Do not go beyond 24 hours as it can alter the condition of your battery.
- After cooling it for a couple of hours, take it out from your fridge and let it warm at room temperature. Make sure to wipe any liquid condensing around your battery.
- Once your battery has been sufficiently warmed up at room temperature, put it back into your laptop. Then charge it until it reaches a full 100 percent capacity.
Method 3Keep it Cool
When you are using your laptop, the battery gets warmer as you use it for longer hours. Warm temperature can degrade the capacity of your power pack. A short and practical reconditioning method for your laptop battery is to use a laptop cooler.
Keeping your battery cool is an excellent reconditioning process to maintain its functional capacity status. Investing for a $20 laptop cooler is much cheaper than buying a new power pack worth $100 or more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Just for further information, here are some FAQs about laptop battery and reconditioning process.
What makes laptop battery drain so fast?
If your laptop is draining so fast, perhaps, you should look into the following things for it is eating up so much of your battery charge.
- High screen brightness
- Unused programs are left running in laptop
- Incompatible battery with laptop’s operating system
- You are using very high-resolution graphics
- Mismatch power plan to your consumption
What is the average life of a laptop battery?
The useful life or cycle of a laptop battery depends on its specifications and quality. However, on average, a laptop battery can last for about 400 to 500 cycles or recharging.
What is the average lifespan of a laptop?
It depends on the brand of the laptop, but the average life it can have is around three years.
Is it fine to leave your laptop plugged into the wall for gaming?
To keep the excellent condition of your battery, it is advisable to pull out the plug if you have reached a 100 percent battery level. If your battery level fell and reached the critical battery level, it is best to plug, charge, and leave it for a while.
Meanwhile, if the battery is detachable, then remove the battery while plugging your laptop into the wall for long hours of usage.
Hopefully, I have given you useful insights on how to recondition a laptop battery. I am open to any questions, comments, or suggestions, write it in the comment section below. I will read it and do my best to give you my best answer.
If you want to have more in-depth learning about reconditioning laptop batteries, I recommend you check out Ez Battery Reconditioning Review for various flexible courses regarding the topic. Moreover, they have other classes about reconditioning batteries from other devices such as car batteries, alkaline batteries, and more.
You can take full advantage of your learning from these courses by starting your battery reconditioning service business.
Battery Restoration Trick
Little Known Way To Bring Nearly ANY Dead Battery Back To Life again..
Battery Reconditioning Charger Mode Get it now ➜ Further reading Access now Is it Possible to Revive a Dead Batteries?
Review of EZ Battery Reconditioning by Kabin Conservation of Mother Earth – Aside from cost-savings, there is also a significant
Laptop Battery Types for reconditioning Get it now ➜ Get it now ➜ Further reading Access now Is it Possible